Saturday, March 5, 2011

Bacon-y Bok Choy

Today's adventure is going to be to try bok choy for the first time. I've never had it, but got it in my bountiful baskets this week (I got the Asian pack). I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I can already tell that this will be a regular in my household, I mean, come on, it calls for BACON, GARLIC, ONIONS, and RED PEPPER FLAKES!!! This recipe is already a winner in my book. I got this from allrecipes.com. I will probably make adjustments to this later, at which time I will add them to this post. But until then here's the recipe:

1/2 pound chopped bacon
2 pounds regular bok choy
1 tsp olive oil (this is necessary because it increases the smoking point of the bacon grease so your kitchen isn't full of smoke while you're cooking your onions, garlic and red pepper flakes)
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp minced garlic
salt to taste
2-3 tsp soy sauce
1-2 chicken breasts, sliced thin and either grilled with just salt or cooked in a small amount of soy sauce
Rice

Fry bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and all fat except for 1 Tbsp. Add olive oil, onion, red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook and stir until onions are tender. Add bok choy, place lid on pan, cook for 3-5 mins, remove lid and cook and stir until bok choy is tender but crunchy. Stir in bacon and season with salt.

My variations are in blue. Next time I will add chicken and eat this over rice. It was great as a side dish. I grilled up some chicken too and just ate it on the side but next time I might add it in. Oh, and it absolutely needed soy sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment